Friday, February 24, 2012

One for the Other?


Sometimes things fall into my lap at the most inconvenient time. I have always believed that the universe is constantly providing everyone with opportunities, and if you learn how to recognize these opportunities you can take advantage of them. That is happening to me right now. I was presented with this chance on the boat, and now I am presented with a choice, what will I do a few months from now? As some of you know, I am a Pelican; not literally, it’s a nickname for employees of a company in New Hampshire. Last week I got a phone call, and I was asked to run the kitchen there this summer. I would be in charge. This is an amazing opportunity, and if it weren’t for the totally unsure nature of the next few months, I would jump on it in a second. I need to choose by Sunday. I have gotten good advice advocating for both. I’m going to do that thing that people always do in movies and make a list of the pros of both sides.

The Boat - I signed a contract for the boat and I would have to pay for my plane ticket home plus all my baggage. I don’t have a good enough feel for the job yet to make a decision. I could really like it four months from now. I’m basically getting paid to hang out most of the day. There is the potential for a lot of growth here. This is very far outside of my comfort zone, and the other job is safe. I may or may not be very disappointed in myself for leaving. I’m getting paid to travel and play music.

The Kitchen - This would be an excellent resume builder. I would be getting supervisory experience. I have a strong social network out in NH and a weak one here. I would be much more occupied with the kitchen job. I have the potential to change people’s lives there like my former boss changed mine while I was just a kitchen worker. I could be very sick of the boat job by the time the job in NH starts. I’m getting paid to cook. There are always other cruise lines to work on.

Both jobs have room and board included in the salaries. The amount I would be getting paid is comparable, although there would be more hours in the kitchen. The thing is I could have both. Six months is a very long time, and I am already getting bored here. I would be putting myself in a position of power and comfort knowing that I have something after the boat, maybe giving me more confidence for while I’m here. On the other hand though, I would not be able to come back to this company if I left early and both jobs isolate me from the most important people in my life. It’s just frustrating because I want to do both, but I’m not ready to make the decision.

Anyway, yesterday I had more corporate training. It was dull, and I learned the details of the family discount. Unfortunately, I can’t get anyone a discount until my second contract. I’ll have to look into this a bit more but it seems like all of my readers are gonna need to pay full price if they want to come see me. The rest was the usual sthick: sexual harassment, rules and employee benefits. Then we had the repeat guest party, where we play music and the line tries to sell them even more cruises. Late at night I went up to the guest deck and explored a bit, it was serene and windy. There was a lone couple at the end of the deck, they thought they were alone and kissed passionately. It made me lonely.

Today I explored Honduras a bit. The ship port was very artificially beautiful. There was a pavilion on a beach for the crew; it had free wifi, food and karaoke. Later in the day we had our second large production show. It was quite easy this time, and although it was boring and I played to a click, it felt good to play the show well. After we had a dance set, which was alright. I thought I played meh but the band complimented me about it afterwards.

My heart is not in this post, I feel uninspired and dull. I’m going to cut it off here. G’night.

No comments:

Post a Comment